With rising numbers of people using social media, like Facebook and Twitter, the Church of England diocese of Bath and Wells has decided to issue some guidelines and commandments that believers can follow to engage safely and in a godly manner.
The Social Media Commandments, targeted at both laity and clergy, encourage Christians to use social media, but to do so responsibly.
The nine commandments are:
1. Don’t rush in
2. Remember updates are transient yet permanent
3. You’re an ambassador for the Church
4. Don’t hide behind anonymity
5. Think about the blurring of public/private life boundaries
6. Safeguarding: Communicating directly online is like meeting someone in private
7. Stay within the legal framework
8. Respect confidentiality
9. Be mindful of your own security