Australia says the last four migrant children detained at a camp on the Pacific island of Nauru are being moved to the US.
The children will be flown with their families as part of a resettlement deal agreed with Washington.
Australia has held asylum seekers arriving by sea on Nauru since detentions began there in 2013.
Last August it held 109 children. Australia refused to resettle them under its tough immigration policies.
In a statement issued on Sunday, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said
“every asylum seeker child has now been removed from Nauru… or has a clear path off the island”.
He said that children would no longer be detained there.
The organisers of a campaign to have all children removed from Nauru and resettled, #KidsOffNauru, welcomed the news, saying it gave children a “safe and permanent home” and the “chance to just be kids”.
Since 2013, the Australian navy has been ordered to tow or turn back asylum seeker’s boats.
Under the controversial policy, people have been detained in centres on Nauru and Manus Island in Papua New Guinea.
According to the latest figures provided by the Refugee Council of Australia, more than 1,200 asylum seekers were believed to still be on the islands in November. About 600 people were believed to be on each island.
Last year, the US agreed to resettle some of the refugees from the offshore detention centres. More than 100 refugees have since been relocated.
Australia’s processing centre for asylum seekers on Nauru has long been plagued by allegations of human rights abuses.
Doctors and human rights groups have for months been calling for all child migrants and their families to be evacuated from the island.
In October, several children were transferred to Australia from the island’s detention centre to receive medical treatment amid a mental health crisis.
Australia maintains that its refugee policy prevents deaths at sea and discourages people smugglers.
The number of asylum seekers travelling to Australia by boat rose sharply in 2012 and early 2013. Scores of people have died making the journey.
First Published 03.02.19: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-47107179
Help Keep The Faith deliver hope to global Christians during the coronavirus period
For 15 years, Keep The Faith's team of volunteers have provided our Christian journalism for free, and kept it open for everyone.
The coronavirus disease is affecting all global communities. Christians and people of faith all over the world are looking to our faith for answers during these troubling times. As more people fall ill with Covid-19 or go into self-quarantine over the next few days, we expect our visitors to grow even further.
Your gifts are so important to our future, and any donation will help. 100% of your gifts will be used to continue providing our services for free to help those who are in need of God's Word during these difficult times.
So please, continue to support us and everyone looking for hope. Partner with us in this journey together.